Thursday, November 11, 2010

Book Review 3: Runemarks

This was a really great book, I've read Greek mythology, but never Norse mythology. Maddy Smith, the main character, first starts out as a simple farm girl in a far away town in the middle of the woods. Then, later becomes the savior of her world. Personally, I love stories like that, where the main character has no importance in the beginning of the story, but eventually the main character has great importance in the future. In this book, Joanne Harries, fits that kind of story in there here novel. Her descriptive words made it very easy to understand the book, when she wrote, "The dead know everything, but they don't give a damn." It worried me through the book, I though there was some knowledge that the dead knew that might unlock some secrets that should have never been unlocked in the first place, but when I took another look at the words, I made new theories of what the sentence may actually mean. I started thinking that, the dead only knew everything because, when they pass away they're sent to 'Hel', a mystical place where everyone goes when they die, and the knowledge of everything lies in Hel, but for some odd reason the dead doesn't care about the knowledge they received because they're too dramatized that they're dead. Another fantastic quote that interested me equally as the previous one was, "You can play with fire, but don't surprised if the fire plays back." Some people would immediately come to the conclusion of, "Go ahead, play with fire.", but if you look at if from a different perspective, you make see the meaning of this quote a lot differently from before. In my opinion, this quote means that you should be able to experiment with anything that you want, though the consequences may be more than you expect. 

I recommend this book with the highest priority, only if you like mythology. If you're into any type of mythology, Teutonic or Greek, Norse mythology shouldn't be any difficult to understd. Hopefully, you'll flow through this book like I did. Don't you like it when the words get to your head so vividly that it creates a story in your mind? I think everyone does, if you do too, then get this book as soon as possible from your local library

1 comment:

  1. Ehhh you need to work on your in-text citations, my friend.

    ReplyDelete